Historical Pictorials
 
Downtown Hancock 1948
 
Taken from Dunstan St./Quincy St. intersection, looking westward on Quincy St., with the Congregational Church (R), Kerredge Theater (mid R), and the Scott Hotel, with a Weather Radio Tower (WWII) on top. This photo was taken in front of Gartner-Stern & Fields Store (L), looking west on Quincy St. Note the two way traffic, this changed to one way West in the early 1960's. At the end of the block (L) was the Kerredge Building, housing the Hancock Hardware (later, Joffee's Shoe Store)...this building is now home for the Community Arts Center. The second block of Hancock, including the Detroit & Northern Savings & Loan (L), Woolworth/Rexall Store (L), the Dover Music House (R), and the Northwestern Hotel, later the Finlandia Building, demolished in the 1990's. The west end of the second block of Hancock, including the Wickley Insurance Agency (L)(the dark front single story building ), and the Post Office on the right.
The Hancock Post Office, which with some updates, continues to function as such today.
             
           
 
[Photos courtesy of Robert Andrews; Digital Imaging by Roland Burgan].
 
AmeriCorps Beach Cleanup Project
City Hall Clock Tower
New Fire Truck
10th Annual Barnelopet Nordic Kids Ski Race
Hancock Bulldogs Win Division 3 State Boys Ice Hockey Championship
 

HOME  |  CITY INFORMATION  |  HISTORY  |  NEWS & EVENTS  |  RECREATION  |  BUSINESS DIRECTORY  |  LINKS  |  CONTACT

 
 

Web site development: opusWeb.com