|The Houghton County Traction Company began in 1900, and had it’s first line, between Hancock and Calumet, operating in 1901, later expanding to other areas. The ‘home’ base for operations was the ‘Car Barn’ and offices, located on Ethel Avenue in Hancock. This building is still in existence, owned and used today by the Thornton Construction Co./Superior Sand and Gravel Corp.||
||This view is one that a person would see upon arriving at the Park from Hancock. Electric Park was built and operated by the Houghton County Traction Company.||
||This is a better view of the Electric Park building, used for dances and musical performances. Food and refreshments were also available.||
||This is view of the inside dance floor area. The facilities were available to streetcar passengers wishing to stop off during the day, and into the evenings, seven days a week.|
|This image shows the considerable activity that went on at the Park in the evenings. Entertainment during this era was in much shorter supply than in the 21st century. The Great Depression brought financial difficulties, that forced an end to the street car era, also facing competition from motor vehicles. The Electric Park continued into WWII, but then, facing upkeep and maintenance costs, and other entertainment options for people, disappeared from the scene as well.